Since 2018, the Teach Access Study Away Program has brought together students, faculty, and industry partners to explore the field of accessibility.
In addition to learning about accessibility, other goals of this learning program include
- Equipping students to be advocates and champions for accessibility
- Building and expanding students’ professional networks
- Learning about career paths in accessibility
- Understanding work processes in the tech industry
Students can expect to engage with topics such as:
- Accessibility Fundamentals
- Assistive technology
- Web/app accessibility
- Accessible events & communication
- Racial justice, intersectionality, and disability rights
- Accessible design
- Inclusive marketing & storytelling
2023 Virtual Study Away
The 2023 Teach Access Virtual Study Away was held in April 2023, and focused on the basics of accessibility and disability.
The 2023 Virtual Study Away program is being offered for free to accepted applicants.
2023 Program Schedule:
Part 1: Introduction to Accessibility & Disability
- Session 1: Wednesday, April 5- Why Accessibility Matters
- Catarina Rivera, Public Speaker & DEI Consultant, Blindish Latina
- Session 2: Wednesday, April 12 – Disability Expert & Advocacy Panel
- Session 3: Wednesday, April 19 – Accessibility Basics
All sessions will take place virtually on Zoom from 7:00 pm-8:30 pm Eastern Time (4:00 pm-5:30 pm Pacific Time)
The Virtual Study Away Program is open to any students enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate program at a College or University. This program is well suited for students majoring in fields like Computer Science, Human Computer Interaction, Design, and User Experience. However, accessibility is for everyone so all majors are welcome to apply! The program is offered to students for free.
This program is a great opportunity to learn about accessibility and network with a wide variety of people in higher education, industry, and advocacy organizations. As an added bonus, students that attend all three of the part one sessions will be given free access to complete the Coursera course “An Introduction to Accessibility and Inclusive Design”. Upon completion of the course, you can earn a shareable certificate.
Program Questions? Email email@example.com